Why domain names are even more valuable today. This is a copy of an article that was on the FragerFactor.com in 2006. I've cleaned it and condensed it, still strong and valid points made.
Top 10 Reasons Why Domain Names Are Great Investments
1. Domain names tell people specifically where to find you on the Internet
2. A good domain name presents a more professional image and can support and even build your brand in the marketplace.
3. Domain names are unique – nobody else can own your domain name.
4. Annual cost is just $12 to renew your domain name.
5. Domain names can be easily shared with others via word of mouth.
6. Direct traffic to your domain name costs you nothing.
7. Search engines rank websites with relevant domain names higher.
8. Domain names like any business asset can add value to your business at time of sale.
9. Owning multiple domain names relating to your business can increase traffic and the number of qualified site visitors that you receive.
10. Owning multiple Domain names blocks competition from entering into your space and increases the value of your business to potential buyers.
How to Qualify a Domain Name
1. Is it easy to spell? I mean EASY! The masses can't spell.
2. Is it easy to remember?
3. Will it look good on a billboard or in a commercial?
4. Will it pass the radio and SIRI tesst?
5. Is it commercial or social?
6. Does it mean something just standing alone?
7. Can the domain go up in value by 100x? by 1000x 10,000x?
8. Is this a retail price or a wholesale price?
9. Are the other extensions taken? (get the .com)
10. Does it get ANY traffic or make ANY income consistently?
11. Is it a plural when it should be a singular? Or is it a singular when it should be plural?
12. Will there be mistypes? If you buy a .net without owning the .com, how much traffic will you lose?
13. If I decide I don't want the domain anymore is it good enough to be liquid?
14. Are there other related domains that would help or hinder?
15. Is this the best domain I can find for the money?
16. Can I use the money in a better way?
17. Does it add value to your overall portfolio?
18. Could you open a business around that domain name?
19. Is the traffic type in or is it coming from any other way?
20. Could you envision a large company using that domain in a national ad campaign?
Check out these domain names for sale.
Even with a busy schedule I try and keep an eye on movement in the tech industry. Where money is being placed shows the direction of the market and what the results of all these industry gurus research and decisions are being backed by speculation. Follow the money and you're following the end results of all these great minds. In an article on SIIA.net there's a comparative breakdown of the last three years worth of investments in different sectors of technology that leads in with some analysis on Q1 2018. Out of the gate, 2018 is up 124% compared to 2017 and the money is on tech enabled services up 207%. Marketing, analytics, database and information services have unprecedented increases.
With stronger consumer confidence the market outlook for technology related goods and services is very healthy, as a consequence advertising and marketing via tech soars along side. Seems obvious to those involved with technology that this isn't going anywhere but up. Take a read through the numbers, what they mean is a future more interwoven with tech than anyone can imagine.
The article is from Matt Kinsman, former vice president at Connectiv now at Accruent.com citing info from JEGI.com.